Seven years the national Museum of Damascus has been closed to visitors and here he is once again ready to receive guests. On opening it reported the Maamoun Abdul Karim, Director of the Syrian Department of antiquities and museums. To open its doors, the Museum plans on September 28. To this event decided to hold a seminar “the Role of museums in strengthening national identity.”
Abdul Karim during his interview said that after the restoration of the building of the National Museum of Damascus, the visitors will open all the rooms, and only half of all the halls. Among the opening walked the halls of ancient history, including those devoted to the Byzantine and Greco-Roman periods of Islamic civilization.
It was noted, that the visitors who have visited the Museum before closing, will also be interesting, as the collection was supplemented with exhibits which have not previously been exhibited and are among the artifacts. These artifacts were found in the hiding places of terrorists the Syrian army. There was a possibility that such works of art could be out of the country and perhaps they would no one else saw. Now the Museum is the owner of valuable items.
The collection of the National Museum of Damascus began collecting in 1919. It included exhibits that were found during excavations in different parts of Syria. The Museum building was built a little later and opened only in 1936. After opening it several times rebuilt. In 1950, the facade is decided to decorate an accurate reconstruction of the gate of Qasr El-kheyr – Umayyad castle, built near Palmyra.
Cultural exhibits from the collection of the National Museum of Damascus can be seen not only within the building, placed some of them on site, which is adjacent to the structure. Among the exhibits, which decided to establish on the street, particularly the statue of the goddess Victoria with the wings created during the Roman era linosyris masters and the figure of a lion with a bull’s head.
The most valuable item in the Damascus Museum is a clay tablet found in 1949. On this plate there is the most ancient alphabet consisting of 30 cuneiform letters. It was created this plaque in the XIV century BC. The Museum also features a huge number of other interesting exhibits, created in ancient times.